Snacks and lunches provide the biggest temptation to revert to convenience food. However, it is quite easy to take a little more time in the morning to prepare something nutritious. Easy healthy meals can be simple.
When I am at home on my own, I often make a quick stir fry, and add egg or leftover meat. It only takes a few minutes, and tastes much better than what you could buy at a food stall.
If you have children, and they are attending a party or other social event where commercial food will be served, it is also easy to make an alternative at home, like home-made chips.
Try this simple sweet potato slice, which is great to have on the run, or in children’s lunch boxes.
1 large sweet potato, peeled
250 g feta cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp fresh dill (or 2 tsp dried)
1 cup yogurt
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Cut sweet potato into thin slices, and place two layers on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Bake in the oven while preparing remaining ingredients (approximately 10 minutes).
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the cheese, dill, and yogurt, and mix thoroughly.
- Remove the dish with the sweet potato from the oven, and pour the egg mixture on top of the sweet potato.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the egg mixture is firm and cooked. The top will brown slightly.
Note: This recipe is from the Fat Revolution Cookbook, which is a LCHF (low carb, high fat) cookbook, perfect for families and for those who don’t need to be super low in carbs. If you would like to be strict keto (no root vegetables, fruit, nuts), use the Easy Keto Cookbook.
i love it